2small acorn squashes, halved horizontally, seeds removed
Salt and pepper
1⁄2medium sized onion, finely diced
1clove of garlic, minced
1 3⁄4cupslow sodium vegetable broth
1⁄3cupsdried sweetened cranberries
1⁄4cupstoasted sliced almonds
Parsley, for garnish
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value*|
|Total Fat: 12g||15%|
|Saturated Fat: 1.5g|
|Trans Fat: 0g|
|Total Carbohydrate: 69g||25%|
|Dietary Fiber: 8g||29%|
- Preheat oven to 350F. Coat cut sides of the acorn squash lightly with olive oil, season with salt and pepper. Roast cut side down for about 30-40 minutes, or until tender.
- While squash roasts, heat olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan, over medium heat. Add onions and sauté for 4-5 minutes, until pieces are slightly browned. Add the garlic, herbs, and rice, sauté for 1 minute.
- Add the dried cranberries and the vegetable stock and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling reduces heat to low, cover and simmer for 32 minutes.
- Remove pan from heat, keep covered, and steam for 10 minutes.
- Once squash is tender remove from the oven and flip over. Divide quinoa evenly amongst the 4 squash.
- Garnish with toasted sliced almonds and parsley sprigs. Enjoy!